Friday, June 15, 2007

We Mandu-Do you?

I've learned that one of the best ways to fight racism and bias in my family is to introduce diverse and culturally interesting things into our daily routine. One of the easiest ways for us is food.

Dumplings are found in nearly every culture-and I have never met a dumpling I didn't like! We stumbled on this SIMPLE recipe for mandu (Korean Dumplings) and thought I would share it.

Ingredients:
1 lb chop meat
1 stalk scallion-chopped
1/2 head Chinese cabbage-chopped
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
3 tsp soy sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 package mandu or wonton skins
vegetable oil

Directions:
Dice all of the vegetables and mix with the meat.
Add soy sauce and sesame oil.
Put 1/2 tsp of the mixture in the center of the mandu or wonton skin
Coat the edge with beaten egg
Fold to seal edges and pan fry in vegetable oil until golden brown

Now, I don't believe that eating dumplings is going to cure bias and it effects-but it can't hurt, can it?

No comments: