Monday, June 25, 2007

Parties, People, Perspective

It was a great weekend-the weather was good, we went to a great party and to the beach. I actually had a chance to sit and watch my daughter play with a new friend.

She met the new friend at a pool party (yes, life is tough!)on Friday afternoon. She was nervous before the party, wondering if she would know anyone, would anyone play with her and other jitters. She called me three or four times to tell me that she was just going to drop off the gift and come home.

When I arrived to pick her up she was right in the thick of things; laughing and splashing. Needless to say she did not want to leave.

I wondered what had turned the tables for her-so I asked her. She replied, "look at the kids, Mom. They all look like me." When I looked, I saw only one other Asian child. I said, "there is only one Asian girl." My daughter then looked me with an expression the said 'why do I have to explain everything'. She sighed and said, Maaaaaa, they are all different colors."

And they were.

It makes me wonder if I am doing the right thing by raising her in an all-white neighborhood. It makes me wonder how I can really help her develop her sense of self-as an Asian American woman.

I don't have the answers, but I am sure that she will help guide me. In the meantime, if you have any ideas let me know.

deb

No comments: