Monday, July 16, 2007

Too bad he's a white boy!

My friend's daughter got married yesterday. Becky joined the family when her parents adopted her from Korea when she was a baby.

She and her husband made a beautiful couple and were shining with their love and the support of family and friends. It was a great day.

When Becky went to the salon she had been going to all of her life to get a pre-wedding manicure, the manicurists (all Korean) patted her on the head and sighed-"too bad he's a white boy."

While we all chuckled when her mother related that story, it made me stop and think. I am pretty connected to my own biases-they are pretty typical of women my age, reace and background I think. I guess I knew that all people carried biases along with them-I just never really thought that Caucasians as the object of racism. It had just never occured to me (ok, so I am a little slow on the uptake).

And that is a bias in and of itself.

Where it nets out for me is that I need to open my eyes and look at things from other perspectives.

In other words, its time to put up or shut up.

No comments: